Upcoming Deadlines for BEDS Data Submissions
PMF Non-Teaching forms must be returned to Office of Information and Reporting by October 31st
The Basic Educational Data System (BEDS) Institutional Master File (IMF) must be submitted by November 7th.
ePMF for Teaching Professional Staff is due to be submitted to NYSED through the TAA application, by January 15th (School districts may set an earlier deadline)
Testing Transparency Report
The ‘Testing Transparency’ that is referenced in the "2013-2014 Statement of Confirmation of Staff Evaluation Rating" can be found at the following link:
Staff Evaluation Rating
This is a reminder that the ‘2013-2014 Statement of Confirmation of Staff Evaluation Rating Verification Report’ is due to NYSED this Friday, October 31st. This must be completed and uploaded in the IRSP(Information and Reporting Services Portal) on the NYSED Business Portal.
Monthly Data Loads
We will be performing the monthly data loads to Level 0 next week, starting on Oct. 27th. These will include data from the student systems, as well as program services from Special Ed (including BEDS Snapshot) and Cafeteria systems(FRPL & Poverty).
The following L2RPT (Cognos State Reports) reports have been refreshed for 2014-15 School year.
Please note - These reports are available only to districts that have had any applicable data loaded to Level 2.
* BEDS reports (SIRS 312, SIRS 313, SIRS 314, SIRS 316, SIRS 319, SIRS 323)
* Reasonableness (SIRS 401)
* CTE (SIRS 306)
* Annual Graduates and Post Graduation Plans (SIRS 308)
* Annual Dropouts and Noncompleters (SIRS 307)
The PD Data System has the VR 1-9 (and PD 6) reports available for the 2014-15 school year.
We will be pulling this data to load into Level 0 next week. **Please note - These reports will not show any data until your SE (Special Ed) BEDS Day Snapshot and Disability data is loaded to Level 2.
November 13th is the target Date for submitting August graduates and August Regents and RCT scores, to be used in the NYSED grad release.
You must include the following information: Exit Enrollment record, Post grad plans and Diploma type. The final deadline for submission to Level 2 is Nov. 27th.
Staff Evaluation Rating
The Staff Evaluation data is due to Level 2 by close of business Thursday, October 16th. This includes any changes or additions to data that has already been submitted.
The 2013-2014 Statement of Confirmation of Staff evaluation and Rating Verification Report should be released to each district's IRSP by the end of the week. Certification of this data is due October 31st.
BEDS IMF application will not be available BEDS day, October 1
Please be aware that the BEDS IMF application will not be available for input/submission of District/School data as of BEDS Day (October, 1 2014). We will issue guidance when the application becomes available.
As the ePMF form is set for launch tomorrow (BEDS Day -October 1, 2014), please be advised of the following reminders and share with your districts.
1. If Staff Snapshot records for non-teaching staff (Social Workers, Guidance Counselors, School Psychologists, etc) are being loaded with TEACHER indicated in the Position Title field (field #8), this will generate a PIN letter. Only teachers who do NOT have active TAA accounts will need PINs. If you have PIN letters for non-teaching staff we cannot remove them from the IRSP at this time. However, please do NOT distribute them. If you have not yet loaded Staff Snapshot records, please make sure "TEACHER" is entered in the Position Title field (field #8) ONLY for staff appointed as teachers for 2014-15. Leave the field blank for all other staff you report. Non-teaching staff will still use bubble sheets this year to submit their BEDS PMF data.
2. Teachers with active TAA accounts who switched districts over the summer should appear in their new districts IRSP PIN Distribution File in the Summary Report (Excel spreadsheet) but should not have a new PIN letter. Some districts received PINs for these teachers. Please check to see if teachers new to your district have active TAA accounts before distributing PINs. You can check using our TAA Administration application. More information on this application will be posted tomorrow (10/1/14) at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/TSDL/home.html Do not distribute PINs to teachers with active TAA accounts- they do not need to create new accounts.
3. The ePMF form does NOT need to be completed/submitted on BEDS day. While the data submitted should reflect information as of BEDS day, the ePMF application will be open to teachers until 1/15/15. ePMF forms may be submitted until this date.
4. The ePMF form is accessed through the Teacher Access and Authorization (TAA) login page https://eservices.nysed.gov/taa/. TAA is the same system teachers use to access the Teacher Student Roster Verification System (TSRV).
5. For more information on ePMF please refer to the resources available online at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/beds/2014/PMF/home.html
6. Click here for an FAQ document is pertaining to the PMF process as a whole. Page three (3) contains Q & A specific to the ePMF.
2014-15 Electronic Personnel Master File (ePMF) Overview
This message serves as a follow up to the August 2014 Personnel Master File (PMF) 2014-15 Timeline and Changes Memo (http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/memos/2014/2014-2015-PMF-Timeline.pdf).
Please see the following reminders and the available PowerPoint to serve as a guide through this year's collection cycle.
* Beginning in 2014-15, PMF teaching data will be collected electronically. The Electronic Personnel Master File (ePMF) application will gather the same data teachers previously provided the Department on bubble sheets (green and brown forms). Teachers will complete an electronic form by logging into the Teacher Access and Authorization (TAA) system using the same user and password information used to view their rosters. Username and password information is available at: https://eservices.nysed.gov/taa/.
* In 2014-15 uploading Staff Snapshot records will generate PINs for teachers who do not currently have active TAA accounts. Districts should notify teachers when Staff Snapshot records are loaded and they can begin completing their ePMF forms. Teachers will not be able to access the ePMF form until a Staff Snapshot record is loaded for him/her. The collection application will be open on October 1, 2014 (BEDS Day). Districts will need to determine who will be charged with reviewing the information collected via ePMF. To allow district administrators the ability to assist teachers in TAA account creation and ePMF and roster review, the TAA administrator application will provide two SEDDAS entitlements. Principals will need to be entitled to view the data submitted by the teachers in their buildings.
* Click here for a PowerPoint presentation (in pdf format as well) providing an overview of the process. For additional guidance, please refer your staff to the following page http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/beds/2014/PMF/home.html.
* For additional support, please contact your RIC or Dataquest at Dataquest@mail.nysed.gov.
Thank You for your continued support.
2014-15 Staff Snapshot files
In preparation for the 2014-15 school year, Datareadiness is working to load Staff Snapshot files to Level 0 and Level 2. You will receive notice if your files were loaded or there are any errors.
If your Staff Snapshot data is loaded to Level 2 this week, any new teachers should receive PINs next week. Please contact us with any questions or concerns you have on this process.
2013-14 End of Year (EOY) Statement of Certification
The End of Year Statement of Certification will be posted to all district’s IRSP (Information and Reporting Services Portal) on Monday, September 15th. This certification will be LEA-specific, as it contains pre-populated FRPL enrollment data. Districts will have until Friday, September 26th to complete the certification process.
2013 & 2014 ELA Item Map Updates
2013 and 2014 test item maps for 3-8 ELA have been updated to include the following footnote:
This item map is intended to identify the primary analytic skills
necessary to successfully answer each question. However, each
question measures proficiencies described in multiple standards,
including writing and additional reading and language standards. For
example, two point and four point constructed response questions
require students to first conduct the analyses described in the mapped
standard and then produce written responses that are rated based on
Writing standards. To gain greater insight into the measurement focus
for constructed response questions please refer to the rubrics shown in
the Test Guides.
2014 ELA item maps
2013 ELA item maps
Regents assessments and 3-8 AVR
NYSED has received a number of questions regarding performance levels on the 3-8 AVR for students who took Regents math in lieu of the grade 7 or 8 mathematics assessments. For institutional accountability, passing Regents scores will be counted as a level 3, failing Regents scores will be counted as a level 1.
This info is available in the response to question 10 in Ira Schwartz's memo, available here: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/memos/2014/UPDATEDDoubleTestingFieldMemo4914.pdf
The next L2RPT report release will include an update to the footnote text for the 3-8 AVR to clarify. For your information, the updated footnote text is below.
Participation: All students show as "Not Tested" until scores are returned from the testing vendor. Participation rates are current year only. If a group does not meet the participation criterion, two years of data will be combined when final participation rates are calculated.
Performance: Data for 3-8 ELA and math are suppressed until On/Off Track data are returned from the vendor. Performance data are for current year only. If there are fewer than 30 students in the school or district, two years of data will be combined when final performance indices are calculated.
Regents and Common Core Math: In 2013-14, grades 7 and 8 students who score Level 3 or 4 on a Regents math test or Level 3, 4, or 5 on a Common Core Regents math test when taken in lieu of the NYSTP are considered "Proficient" (Level 3) for accountability. Students who score Level 1 or 2 are considered "Not Proficient" (Level 1 Off Track).
NYSAA Cap: If the percent of continuously enrolled tested students scoring Level 3 or 4 on the NYSAA in a district exceeds 1%, enough students scoring at Level 3 or 4 are counted as scoring at Level 2 when performance indices are calculated. Column (n) shows the count at Level 3 and 4; column (o) shows the count that will be counted at Level 2.
For more information about accountability, see "Chapter 6: Understanding Accountability" in the SIRS Manual at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/home.html.
2014 Common Core ELA and Mathematics Score Reports (6 languages) and Understanding Reports
FYI from the Office of Assessment regarding Score Reports -Including general information and location of translated editions.
Elementary/Intermediate General Information
Note: The score reports in English, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, and Spanish are posted.
PD System has been refreshed
The PD Data system issues have been resolved and the VR11-VR16 reports have now been refreshed with any data that was loaded to Level 2 last week.
SIRS-102 (Elementary/Middle-Level Accountability Data Verification Report ) now available in L2RPT
The Elementary/Middle-Level Accountability Data Verification Report (SIRS-102) is now available in the L2RPT environment. Columns a-d of these reports are populated with 2013-14 participation data for 3-8 ELA, Mathematics and Science assessments. Performance columns (e-j) have been suppressed until growth to proficiency data are available, for PI calculations, this fall.
These data incorporate conditions of the mathematics double testing waiver, and include students qualifying for participation as defined by the waiver. Districts should review participation data at this time, with the understanding that these students represent their accountability population for 3-8 assessments. As such, enrollment and demographic data should be corrected as needed prior to the end of the year reporting deadline (9/12/14).
Individual Student Reports 3-8 ELA & Math
The individual student 3-8 ELA & Math Score Reports (formerly known as ISRs) are now available to districts in L2RPT (Cognos – State Reports-Score Reports (SIRS 501).
AIS Requirements for 2014-15
Memo from NYSED regarding AIS Requirements for 2014-2015.
Communication about 13-14 State-Provided Growth Score Availability
2013-2014 VADIR/DASA data collection
The submission period for reporting data regarding School Safety and the Educational Climate (VADIR/DASA) is now open.
Summary reports of data collected during the 2013-14 school year must be completed, certified and submitted to NYSED via the online reporting application by Friday, September 26, 2014. The online reporting application may be accessed through the NYSED Business Portal at: http://portal.nysed.gov/portal/page/pref/PortalApp
All public schools and districts, charter schools and BOCES that were active for any period during the 2013-14 school year are required to submit data regarding School Safety and the Educational Climate to NYSED - even if they report zero (0) incidents.
Information regarding the reporting process (including specific reporting dates, directions for filling out the forms, a Glossary of Terms and a Frequently Asked Questions document) can be found on NYSED's Office of Information and Reporting Services website at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/school_safety/school_safety_data_collection.html
State-wide results for Grade 3-8 ELA and Math
SED has posted the aggregate results of the Grades 3-8 ELA and Math assessments that were publicly released on Thursday. This data is available on the new School Report Card site.
To access the information go to: http://data.nysed.gov
In the center of the screen select 2013-14 and Public School 3-8 Assessment Data.
On the next screen choose the ELA or Math data.
The next screen displays the percent of students scoring on each level and the percent proficient for 2013 and 2014 for all grades state-wide. (Note: The screen displays 2013 in the left hand panel and 2014 on the right.)
This data may be filtered by Gender, Ethnicity, Grade, District Needs Category, subgroups, and Proficiency levels. To filter the data click on “Filter this data” in the blue bar above the graph. (Be sure to click on the little blue “Filter” button to apply the filter.)
This same information can also be displayed for each school district by clicking on the “Districts” button in the black bar at the top of the screen or by searching by district name on the home screen of this site.
August UIAS False Transfer reports
As you review the August UIAS False Transfer Report, the reports are flagging all student that had a 153 transfer (any kids going from Elem to Mid, Mid to HS, etc.)
If districts have already reviewed the July False Transfer report to ensure the 153s from those reports are resolved, then they may selectively ignore 153s in the August FT reports if it seems too laborious to differentiate between the rollovers and potentially legitimate cases.
Personnel Master File (PMF) 2014-15 Timeline and Changes
This memo highlights the timeline for the 2014-15 data collection of the Basic Education Data System (BEDS) Personnel Master File (PMF) and updates to the collection process for teacher data. Please share this communication with your district data coordinators and individuals responsible for the BEDS collection and reporting.
End of year reporting deadline has been extended to September 12, 2014
The end-of-year reporting deadline for 2013-14 data has been extended to September 12, 2014. In accordance, certification of the end-of-year data is due on September 19, 2014. This extension is based on a number of variables that have impacted a district's ability to accurately review and verify prior to certifying their data.
A parallel change has been made to certification deadlines for special education data submitted through the PD system. The certification due date for the VRs 13, 15, and 16 has been extended to September 15, 2014.
There are no changes to any other data deadlines, but please note that the data collection for 2014-15 will be slightly delayed as to allow for the final collection of 2013-14 data.
Click here for a revised version of the EOY certification organizer.
Efficiently Running Cognos Reports
Did you know that you can set-up Cognos to run reports in the background? As many reports are time intensive to run, especially those by student, you may want to elect to run or create reports while you continue with other work, eliminating the need to wait for each report to finish before moving on. Detailed instructions can be found here.
Common Core Conversion Charts Released
Common Core conversion charts are out ahead of schedule:
High School ELA
2014-2015 Testing Schedule
Elementary/Intermediate Testing Schedule -
Regents/High School Testing Schedule -
January 2015 -
June 2015 -
What is Level 0? An Introductory Video for new users.